There are currently 4 classes within the junior school ranging from Prep to Year 2. All year levels work closely together to develop authentic learning experiences for all students.
Teachers in the junior school are:
- Prep: Therese Axford and Sarah McAdam
- Grade 1: Jan Hodgson and Nicole Longino
- Grade 2: Sam Dean, Tina Mayling and Rob Horsburgh
Information and Communications Technology
Students in junior grades use a range of ICT tools including iPads, Bee-Bots (robotic bees) and laptops. Teachers regularly use interactive whiteboards throughout the day for learning videos, stories, problem solving tasks, worked examples and more.
The junior grades at Bass Valley Primary School follow the latest science around how we become expert readers. This includes explicitly teaching synthetic phonics (knowledge about the sounds in our language) and phonological awareness (the skills to use the sounds of our language) using the Sounds Write approach.
For parents and community members interested in learning more about helping children to read and write, take a look at these free short Udemy courses from John Walker, a literacy expert who created the Sounds Write program:
- Help Your Child to Read and Write (beginner, 1.5 hours)
- Help Your Child to Read and Write (intermediate, 1.5 hours)
When helping children to read, we encourage them to:
- Look through the whole word, left to right
- Break the words up into sounds, syllables or chunks
- Blend the sounds and link the letter strings
- Listen to their own voice and think…‘does that word make sense?’
- Ask for help
This infographic from Teach Starter is a useful summary of these strategies.